Brighter Days Ahead
Brighter Days Ahead
Aloha Family & Friends
In a few weeks our mainland friends will be looking forward to the first signs of spring and finding comfort in knowing that sunny days are ahead. In West Maui we are also seeing glimpses of brighter days ahead, but in a different way.
First, a number of small businesses and entrepreneurs are up and running again. Many of you know that we’re very active in the Rotary community and the Rotary Club of Lahaina Sunrise has been able to supply “tools of the trade” for those who’ve lost theirs in the fire. Thanks to many generous donations, the club has purchased replacement equipment for contractors, handymen, hair stylists, plumbers, IT installers, woodworkers, landscapers, auto detailers, welders and painters. They have purchased books and office supplies for counselors and medical equipment for a naturopathic physician. The club has even helped a dog groomer and massage therapists get back to business. It’s just a start, but it feels great to be able to help in a small way.
Secondly, as of mid-January, the Army Corps Engineering have begun the removal of debris and rubble and the top layer of soil and ash from the burn zone. Many see this as the first step towards rebuilding.
Lastly, on a more casual note, we’re seeing the return of a few well-loved venues. Amigo’s, formerly in old Lahaina Town, has found a new location in Napili Plaza and – wait for it – Mala will be reopening on February 1! And from a very practical perspective from two residents who are on the road a lot, THE CAR WASH AT SHELL IS OPEN!! Ah, the little things that we take for granted.
Very slowly but surely, Lahaina is finding its way back. And we couldn’t be more thankful to report this to you.
Aloha, Greg & Leah
Haupia chocolate brownies are a Hawaii delight that combines the rich chocolate goodness of brownies with the creamy flavor of haupia, a coconut milk custard. The result is a decadent treat that showcases the tropical essence of Hawaii.
Haupia Chocolate Brownies
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup macadamia nuts, chopped (optional)
- 1 can (13.5 oz) coconut milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease a 9×13-inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, melt the butter and then mix in the sugar until well combined.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing until just combined.
- If desired, fold in the chopped macadamia nuts.
- Pour the brownie batter into the prepared baking pan and spreading it evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a few moist crumbs.
- While the brownies are baking, prepare the haupia layer. In a saucepan, combine the coconut milk, sugar, water, and cornstarch. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens.
- Once the brownies are done baking, let them cool slightly, and then spread the haupia layer evenly over the top.
- Allow the brownies to cool completely before cutting them into squares.
Garnish with chocolate drizzle, shredded coconut, or whatever makes you happy. Enjoy your delicious Haupia Chocolate Brownies!